Friday, January 4, 2013

Our Arms Are Too Short

While watching television, surfing through the channels, I stopped on a Christian television program for a moment. They said something about reaching into the darkness. My five year old son looked at me and said, "Darkness?" He knows that darkness is not of God and was surprised to hear it mentioned on a program that was talking about being a Christian. I knew this would be a great time to teach him something but instead he reminded me of God's Word.

I explained to him that as Christians we must reach into the darkness to pull people into the light. I told him that if someone is not a Christian they are in darkness because Jesus is the light. "Oh." He said. He was thoughtful for a moment and then after having figured it all out in his little mind he said, "People's arms are too short to get them ALL out of the darkness."

"You're right," I told him, so proud that he understood.

"But you know who is big enough to get them all out of the darkness?" Javan asked me.

"Who?" I asked.

"JESUS!" He made grand gestures with his little arms as he explained. "Jesus's arms can reach all of them and pull them out."

He is absolutely right. The Bible says in Isaiah 59:1 "Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither His ear heavy, that it cannot hear:." That is great news for us! We may not be able to reach high enough up to touch God but He certainly can reach down far enough to touch us. I am so thankful that He wants to.

In church we often sing a chorus that goes like this:

When God reached down for me.
When He reached way down for me.
I was lost and undone,
without God or His Son.
When He reached way down for me.
 
I am so grateful that He saw fit to reach down and save me. He took away all of my sin and shame and nailed it to the cross so I could go free. The Bible says in Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our LORD. You see we should have to pay the penalty for our sins with our life but God loves us so much that He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins. Jesus is the perfect sacrifice because He was without sin. We read in I Peter 2:21, 22:
For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us,
leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps:
Who did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth:
 
I am thankful that God's hand stretched down and pulled me close to Him. He loves me. He saved me. He keeps me. I will serve Him until I die. If you find yourself needing to be rescued, ask God to reach down and pull you up. He is able to save you and give you a brand new start. God bless you!
 
~Bridgett