Friday, August 26, 2016

Expectation

Google defines expectation as a strong belief that something will happen or be the case in the future. One of the synonyms is hope.

What does God expect of me? What does He require? According to Micah 6:8, "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Three things: do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with my God. That is what He wants from me.

What does the world want? What expectations have they placed on me? Oh, it is overwhelming to think about! It's what has gotten me feeling so oppressed, so pressed down, so weary. I have looked at what society has said is a good mother, a good wife, a good daughter, a good nurse, a good Christian, a good person, a good student, a good ....fill in the blank! And everyone's idea of what "good" is varies so much.

To do justly means to do what is right or fair. That is what God requires of me. He wants me to be fair and to do the right thing! To love mercy means simply to have compassion or forgiveness toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm. So to love mercy, God just wants me to be compassionate and forgiving! Walk humbly is being modest; not being arrogant or proud. So He just wants me to walk with Him and know my place as a humble servant.

Sometimes I get so carried away with my stuff, my worries, my fears...my circumstances, that I stop seeing what a big God He really is. God is so good to me, that even when I have gone to Him in prayer, half-complaining about my situation, He just lovingly nudges me to His Word to encourage me and lift me up! He is so good to me!!! He is much better to me than I deserve!

I need to stop expecting so much from myself and learn to be patient. I can only do what He has strengthened me to do. Yes, I have started back at college, taking a very, very intense course this semester. But He is with me! The assignments are tough! The due dates are crazy!!! I'm still working as a nurse, still being a wife, and mother, still trying to do what all that entails and now I am adding on a TON of homework, studying, reading, papers, assignments, and new things to learn and retain. Can I do it alone? NO! I do not even want to try, but I am getting new expectations!

Psalm 62:5 says "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him." Yes, it is! My hope is in Him. My strong belief is that He will sustain me, He will help me, He will hold me. I know that it was never meant to be in my own power, but only in His!

A very familiar, comforting verse comes to mind: Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Thank You, LORD! I trust You! I thank You for the confirmation. I thank You for the blessings. I thank You for the expected end. I thank You for the simple requirements You have for me. Help me to do all that You want me to do for You, dear Lord. I love You Lord Jesus more than anything in this whole world!!!!

~Bridgett