Friday, October 4, 2019

Unexpected Events | Fuel For the Weekend

Have you ever had your day all mapped out, a list of things to do, important calls to make, and projects to finish? Do you know the kind of energy you feel just before you go to bed because of the expectation you have for the day ahead? I experienced this last night.

This morning I woke up Kadesia and Javan, made sure they were out the door on time, and I was looking forward to getting everything done on my list. I stayed in my night gown a little longer than I planned on. I took a little longer to get back out of bed and I honestly thought I had the day planned! I ignored the soft voice in my spirit that tried to warn me of what would happen. I dismissed it but I should have heeded it.

My cell phone rang. My son was calling me from the school nurse’s office. He had thrown up and needed me to pick him up. My husband was away with our car so I had no transportation. My daughter had dropped my son off at the bus stop and once he was on the school bus she drove to her school. I felt helpless!

Javan asked if I could call the school and have Kadesia come home to bring me the car. I did not want her to do that because she needs to be in school, this is her senior year after all. I did not know what to do. I felt frustrated because this was all unexpected. My son couldn’t help getting sick. My husband couldn’t be in two places at once. My daughter needed to be in school. Nothing on my to-do list was getting done. What should I do?

In the end, my daughter was allowed to leave school, bring me the car, and I took her back to school and made my way to get my son. She had to stay after school for some extracurricular activities so it worked out. Nothing was accomplished on my list except I was able to write this blog post, even though it is late. It reminds me of what the Bible says about making plans.




I enjoy decorating my planner and mapping out my week. It’s just a list of things our family hopes to do, places we typically go, etc. It’s a creative outlet for me, but I have learned to not take it too seriously because plans change, things happen, and the unexpected is inevitable.

God’s Word says in Proverbs 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. I have certainly found this to be true today! Proverbs 19:21 says There are many devices (plans) in a man’s heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand. We can plan on doing many things but God’s great plan unfolds in ways that excludes our own agendas. (Isaiah 46:10)

My idea for a weekly post on Fridays called Fuel For the Weekend is to encourage you to be more intentional about the way you spend your time. I realize not everyone is off on weekends, so for those that are be mindful of how you replenish yourself. What gets you fired up to further the Kingdom? What can you do to be the hands and feet of Jesus as a tangible view of God’s love as it aligns with Scripture?

To all those who work weekends, and maybe there are those who seldom get the chance to refuel your soul, choose what is important and needful and let the rest go. Today I speak to all of us, especially those who enjoy having a plan. Let’s hold loosely to our schedule. Remember that it is okay to have an idea of what you hope the day will look like but if things change, if circumstances are not ideal, if schedules need rearranging, it’s okay. Don’t worry and stew over things you cannot control. It will all work out in the end. Today ended much better than it started, even though it looks very different than I planned.

These two passages comfort me on days like these. 

ROMANS 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.

JEREMIAH 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

I take great comfort in knowing that everything will work out for good as the Lord’s hand picks up the pieces of my day and puts it back together better than I ever could imagine. He is thinking of me, making His own plans for my good, to give me peace. I can expect God to show up in a big way as I surrender my plans, my ideas, and my will to His perfect plan for my life.

May something I shared today give you strength for your journey and light for your way.

God bless you!
~Bridgett Owens 

No comments:

Post a Comment