Thursday, February 18, 2021

How Great Is Our God | Thankful Thursday

Have you ever been to the ocean? I am surprised to learn that many people have never seen the ocean. It is so beautiful and one of my favorite places to be. I am sharing a photo today that I love. I don't like having my picture taken very often but my daughter took this picture as I was staring over the ocean in Biloxi, Mississippi. The sky was breathtaking and looked like cotton candy. The ocean, so vast - with white caps and small waves rising and crashing. The ebb and flow of the water at the edge of the white sand was so relaxing I could have easily been lulled to sleep. The salt in the air and the beauty around me filled my heart with gratitude and thankfulness. What a joy it was to be surrounded by God's beautiful creation.

As I sit in Indiana, surrounded by white SNOW and not white sand, I long for the warmer temperatures. I do not like winter, and I never have. Far from the beautiful place God sent us for 16 months, I am reminded that I can no longer just take a short walk to see the beautiful water. Instead of longing for what I cannot have, I am thankful for the memories. I am grateful for the experience. I am happy that I had those opportunities to grow exponentially in my faith and our little family of four connected like never before.

What about you? Is there something that you want? Something you miss? Something you may not be able to get back but you long for it? Friends, don't get discouraged. If God has removed something from your life, rest assured He has something better to give you. It may not feel like it, and maybe if you are mourning the loss of a beloved pet or family member maybe it is not going to be replaced, but I know that God gives beauty for ashes and strength for fear, gladness for mourning, and hope for despair.

PSALM 33:6-12, 18-22 (6)By the Word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth. (7)He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: He layeth up the depth in storehouses. (8)Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him. (9)For He spake, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast. (10)The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: He maketh the devices of the people of none effect. (11)The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of His heart to all generations. (12)Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom He hath chosen for His own inheritance. (18)Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them that fear Him, upon them that hope in His mercy; (19)To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine. (20)Our soul waiteth for the LORD: He is our help and our shield. (21)For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His Holy name. (22)Let Thy mercy, O LORD, be upon us, according as we hope in Thee.

What an incredible passage. I encourage you to go back and read all of Psalm 33. It is SO good. It is refreshing to the soul. The words make a huge impact on me in this season of waiting and not seeing anything around me change. I am staring at the horizon, much like in this picture, and I am waiting, hoping, expecting, and sometimes doubting but I repent and try harder to believe and wait and hope and expect again. Verse seven says He gathers the water together in a heap. The ocean is so big and so deep and so wide and yet God who is far greater and bigger than the ocean He created, just gathers it in a heap! Verse eight says let all the people in the world stand in awe of God. 

I was in awe at the ocean. I feel so small, so minuscule next to the ocean, but I don't feel insignificant. And I think that is part of what draws me to the water. It is so incredible to see that the very one who knows how many drops are in the ocean, is the very same God who loves me so much He sent His Son Jesus to die for my sins and then rise on the third day. How can we not feel loved and cared for by the Master of the wind when we feel the breeze blow into our face? How can we wonder if God is real when proof is painted in every sunset of every single day.

This passage reminds us that everything was made at the voice command of God, Elohim, our Creator. And if we are going through a situation where we need to see and experience a move of God, we can ask the star-breather to speak life into our hopeless situation and He will do it. We will be amazed at the way He comes through for us. Just stand still and know that He is God. Verse 20 says our soul waits for the LORD because He is our help and our shield. He is everything we need. He is the giver and protector. He sustains us and lifts up our heads. We can rejoice in our hearts because we trust Him. He is always faithful.

I am thankful for many things this week. I am thankful for the heat, and the water, electricity, and reliable transportation to get my husband to work safely and back home safely, too. I want to tell my family and friends in Tennessee and Texas that I am praying for you all. I am praying you get your water and power back. I am praying you stay warm and safe. I am praying the ice melts soon and that warmer temperatures can come and thaw out the frozen pipes and things that have plagued so many families. I am praying for the safety of the emergency workers who are risking their own lives to save others. And as David says in verse 22, Let Your mercy LORD be upon Your children according as we hope in You. Keep hoping in Jesus. Let's keep Him first. Keep a praise and a grateful heart toward God. Let's love one another and help encourage each other. Jesus is coming back so soon and we want to be ready!

I pray that something I have shared today has been strength for your journey and light for your way. God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment