Thursday, December 24, 2020

Our Gift | Thankful Thursday

The LORD impressed on my heart to carve out a section of my blog to share what I am thankful for. I started it on a Thursday and decided to call it "Thankful Thursday." Each week I share what I am thankful for. Come back each week so we can count our blessings together.

Merry Christmas Eve!

I have no shortage of things to thank God for. He has given us so much to enjoy. We are in a busy season of our lives... no, not the Christmas season, moving season. As we transition from one home to another, one state to another, one climate to another it is not easy. We have a limited time to finalize packing the remainder of our belongings and then next week we will not be living here in Alabama. Yet, we know that moving is not our idea, not in our plans, but God is ordering our steps and we humbly say, "Yes, Lord."

MATTHEW 2:10-11 (10)When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. (11)And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary His mother, and fell down, and worshipped Him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto Him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

I am not endorsing December 25 as the day the Lord Jesus was born. He was sent from God and He was born of a virgin, and there were wise men who sought Him to worship Him. So I am sharing this story in this season to be thankful that God so loved the world, (that is you and me), that He gave His only begotten Son, (that is Jesus), to be born, live, love, heal, forgive, and set free and die on an old rugged cross for our sins and to give us life everlasting. He is not dead. He was dead. He is not a baby. He was a baby. He is not physically on the earth, he was physically on the earth. He is alive! He is seated at the right hand of the Father! I am thankful for that!

The wise men looked for Him and found Him. If we look for Him the Scriptures says we will find Him. Jeremiah 29:12-13 Then shall ye call upon Me, and ye shall go and pray unto Me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart. Wise men still seek Him and still find Him.

The wise men gave Him gifts. What gifts can we give our King? What talents, skills, abilities, or callings on our lives can we offer back to Him? What can we do? How can we serve? Let's give the best gifts to our risen Savior. He is worthy and He honors us when we serve Him. 

What gifts did the wise men give Jesus? They gave gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. The gold was given to symbolize royalty. He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords. Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with Him are called, and chosen, and faithful. The gold paid for travel costs to Egypt when Jesus had to be hidden. They gave Him frankincense which served multiple purposes. He was anointed with it just as any king's son would be. It also has healing properties, which Mary could use to keep Jesus healthy, and again is symbolic in that Jesus was able to heal the sick. Isaiah 53:5 But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed. The myrrh is an ointment used for one who would die. Myrrh means bitter. This gift symbolized the bitter cup that Jesus had to drink to save the world! Remember when Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane just before He was crucified? Matthew 26:39 And He went a little further, and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, O My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me: nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt.

I am thankful for Jesus! He is my King. He is my Passover Lamb. He is my supreme sacrifice! I am thankful for salvation, forgiveness of sins, and eternal life. He is my Great Physician. He is my Healer. He heals me of all my diseases! He restores my soul! He renews my mind. He purchased my healing with the stripes on His precious back! I am thankful that He died for me and yet I hate that I caused Him to die. It was my sins, my attitudes of unforgiveness, my pride, my selfish desires, and my wayward heart that caused Jesus to die on that old tree. He took the thorns for me! He took the nails in His hands and feet for me! It was my punishment and He took it. I am so thankful and humbled. I don't know why He thought enough of me to do that but I am so thankful that He did.

What are you thankful for today? It doesn't matter if you have presents or not, a tree or not, celebrate or not. The Lord Jesus came to this earth, lived and served, then died in a sacrificial gift to free the world from the slavery of sin and bondage and offer us eternal life. If you have not received that free gift today, please do! Ask God to forgive you of your sins and be the Lord of your life! Psalms 145:18 The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon Him, to all that call upon Him in truth. Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 

God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

 

No comments:

Post a Comment