Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Overcomer | Wednesday Bible Study

I have been fought today! In the Spiritual realm, it has been a battle! I am in a spiritual valley, the fight is on, the noise of the battle is in my ears, and everywhere I look I see destruction. It's hard in the valley to remember what it was like on the mountaintop. All I can think about is the daunting task ahead of me to climb another mountain! God reminded me of someone in the Bible who was on the mountaintop but a deep, dark valley was up ahead and he didn't even know it.

Genesis 39:2-6 (2)And the LORD was with Joseph, and he was a prosperous man: and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. (3)And his master saw that the LORD was with him, and that the LORD made all the he did to prosper in his hand. (4)And Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him: and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had put into his hand. (5)And it came to pass from the time that he had made him overseer in his house, and over all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptian's house, and in the field. (6)And he left all that he had in Joseph's hand: and he knew not ought he had, save the bread which he did eat. And Joseph was a goodly (handsome) person, and well favoured.

Joseph had a special calling on his life. Even though he had been sold into slavery by his brothers, his own flesh and blood, he was now in a prominent place and successful. He may have thought this was what the dreams meant. He was in a place of honor and all that he put his hand to was blessed. He had no idea that very soon everything would change and he would find himself in prison for fictitious rape charges.

God wanted me to remember that Joseph's mountaintop experience helped him in the prison. He knew God placed him in the Egyptian's house. He remembered his success and he remembered his dreams. These memories served him well in prison. He was able to rise in ranks in prison and even was given a place of honor to oversee the other prisoners.

I'm not so much like Joseph. I do remember the promises God gave me and the blessings He bestowed on me, but I have a hard time not looking at the prison cell walls instead of thinking about what I will do when I get out. In this valley it is hard and I don't like feeling so far away from God. I know He is with me and He always will be, but it's hard to hear over the noise of the battle.

This week I am memorizing 1 John 4:4 "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." This verse has been pivotal for me. It forces me to remember that the battle is not won by me or anything I do, but by the God who lives inside me and goes before me and fights on my behalf. I am an overcomer because He has made me so.

You may be facing a difficult situation and things just seem to be getting worse instead of better. Look up, for your redemption draweth nigh. (Luke 21:28) Remember the God inside of you is greater than the devil in the world. You are an overcomer. You will get through this tough time. You will soon be on the mountaintop where the view is amazing. Don't give up. Don't grow weary. (Galatians 6:9) The valley season is not forever. 

Joseph found that he made a connection in the prison. He met someone who worked in the palace. He forgot Joseph once he was back at work in the palace until someone needed the very gift Joseph had. He was brought before Pharaoh and eventually became second in command. His dreams came true and he was promoted by God to save many people. 

Use this dry season, this valley season, this tumultuous season to make connections and use your gifts whether you see any change in circumstances or not. God is moving. Soon everything will come together and you and I will be exalted to a place of honor by God. He never takes His eyes off us. He has us in the palm of His hand. He is going before us and He stands behind us. He is all around us protecting us and helping us. Be encouraged! The battle belongs to the LORD and He wins every single time!

You are made an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of your testimony. (Revelation 12:11) Let's take up our cross, with our full armor on, and suit up for battle. If you are not going through a tough season, just rest in His presence and regain strength, because before you know it, you will be back in the valley fighting the good fight of faith. Let's pray for each other and help each other make it Home!

God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment