Thursday, June 10, 2021

Tooth Extraction | Thankful Thursday

 

A week ago tomorrow I had a tooth pulled. I did not want to go to the dentist to have this taken care of because I am terrified of anything to do with a dentist. They gave me laughing gas just to clean my teeth last time. I hate the whole process of anything to do with dentistry. 

So, backstory: I had a cavity in one of my baby teeth. Tooth #19. My dentist drilled it and filled it even though he said it was only a small sign of decay. I was eating candy and I bit on a Sugar Daddy, which for those that don't know, it's a big gob of caramel on a stick. But when I pulled the stick out of my mouth, that sugary treat took my filling with it! So my mom took me back to the dentist, and I was scared out of my wits to have that done again! My dentist drilled it and filled it again. Two weeks later that tooth fell out! My mom was not happy. Then the adult tooth came in and it decided to show a sign of decay too, so again drilled and filled.

To this day I cannot stand to hear a drill running. It hurts my teeth like nothing else! So the filling stayed for many, many years until I was eating a sucker in the library in Mitchell. I literally chipped the tooth and knocked out a piece of the filling. I refused to do anything about it for a while, but finally I went to the dentist. She referred me to an oral surgeon, but I didn't go. Time went on, it started to bother me again, so I went back to the dentist, and same suggestion, she referred me to an oral surgeon. I finally went. I was treated very well by all the dental professionals, but something happened in one of the fillings and it scarred me for life!

So I finally went to the oral surgeon to have a root canal. He didn't think he could save it but I insisted he try because I desperately wanted to save my tooth. So he did the best he could. He said it was a success and I just needed to get a crown. So I tried, but my dentist could never get me in. We moved to Alabama and I had to wait until I had a job with insurance and then wait for the insurance to be active and finally I went to see if I could get a crown. Meanwhile my tooth broke more and so the answer was no, the tooth has to come out. I scheduled for surgery but then we moved back to Indiana before I could have the procedure.

So finally we have jobs, we have insurance, and it's time for me to take care of this tooth which is even more broken now. They drilled and pulled and yanked. I was numb through my ear which somehow was still painful, and I felt a lot of pain and pressure in my front teeth during the procedure. I was a nervous wreck and all alone, well except for all the people in the room. It takes a village to pull a tooth!! And so then after seeing the debris spraying all over the place, and feeling the pressure as the roots were yanked out of my mouth, I was finally free of the tooth. Two sutures and a mouthful of gauze I was sent out to my waiting family.

So what am I thankful for? I am thankful for kind, caring staff who took care of my problem. I am thankful for no infection or dry socket. I am thankful for pain medication. I am thankful that Jesus was with me every second and I could feel Him with me because I was freaking out on the inside. I am thankful for my mother-in-law and son who wanted to take me. I am thankful for the car ride home that I do not really remember. I am thankful for the way my mother-in-law took care of me to insist I rest, gave me food and delicious jello she made for me! I am thankful for the kindness in her voice as she asked if there was anything I needed. I am thankful that she left the bathroom light on for me. I am thankful that we live here, even though I truly do want my own home. I am still so grateful that we have a nice place to live.

I am thankful God has brought me through these days of working this week even though I have not felt the best. I am thankful the stitches fell out without pain or problems. I am thankful I can drink from a straw again!! I am thankful that the whole thing is over with. Even though I wish I didn't have to lose a tooth, I'm glad I lost the trouble maker of them all! 

I am thankful that the Bible says in Hebrews 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." I did not have to cowardly approach the Lord. I did not have to cower in fear that He may demand I leave His presence. Instead I found mercy and grace to help me in my time of need. I was so scared and He was there to help me.

Maybe you are not afraid of the dentist. You may enjoy getting your teeth cleaned or not mind having a tooth pulled. But sometimes in life we go through things we don't want to, but God is always there. In 2 Samuel 22:33 we read that "God is my strength and power: and He maketh my way perfect." We are not perfect people, but God will give us His strength and His power to face the tough challenges in life we are not expecting. He makes the hard paths, the winding roads, the hills and valleys to become perfect paths. He straightens the crooked ways and helps us to navigate this life. 

Waiting to get a home of our own has been difficult to say the least. We have looked at different places to rent or buy and it's so frustrating. At times I am so weary and this week I thought my heart may truly fail me. I was so distressed with everything. My health was not good, and you already know about the whole dental thing, and my husband had to see a surgeon (please be praying about that), and then Kadesia wound up in a brace on her arm because it keeps going numb to the fingers but they can't find the issue (please be praying about that). She had to go three places and still no real answers. So it's just a lot and so I take comfort in reading Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever."

Friends, I am counting my blessings for the Word of God. He never fails me and He never lets me down. If I am discouraged when I start reading the Word of God, it's not long before I become strengthened and encouraged. I get my hope back. I get my joy back. Let's close with this verse in Habakkuk.
HABAKKUK 3:19 The Lord God is my strength; and He will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and He will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.

I am scared of heights...honestly this is not supposed to be a blog post about the things I am afraid of. But I am truly scared of being up high. Yet if the Lord God gives me the ability to climb up high mountains then I will do so without fear. I know He gives me the strength to do hard things. He alone is my source of strength.

I hope that you have been counting your blessings with me this Thankful Thursday. I always enjoy sharing what God has done for me. It's not fun to reveal the weaknesses of my flesh with the whole world, but if it can even help one other person with the verses I share or the things I thank God for doing in my life, then it is worth it. I am so thankful for you all. I pray that something I have shared today has given you strength for your journey and light for your way. God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment