Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Psalm 31 | Bible Study Wednesday


Welcome back to Bible Study Wednesday! This year God has pressed upon my heart to study the book of Psalms. Each Wednesday we take a closer look at a new chapter. Today we are going to chapter 31. If you have not done so, please take the time to read through these 24 verses. I will be sharing some thoughts about today's passage and break down this chapter below. Please pray and ask Holy Spirit to open your spiritual eyes and ears to receive everything He has to teach you in today's passage. Let's begin!

Verses 1-6
David writes this psalm to God as he has done many times before. He starts by telling God he trusts Him. Do we tell God how much we trust Him? My family and I are in a really hard journey. We believe it is nearing the end. We sure hope so! I am telling God that even though I don't understand the process or His methods, I still trust Him. David asks for God to listen to his requests. He tells God he needs Him to be his Rock and fortress. He needs direction/guidance. He feels as though he is in a trap set by the enemy and He calls on God to deliver him because God is his strength. He makes a statement in verse five that we see again in the New Testament out of the mouth of Jesus. LUKE 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, He said, Father, into Thy hands I commend My Spirit: and having said thus, He gave up the ghost. 

Jesus took His last breath to say this. Why would David say this? He is crying out for deliverance based on God's faithfulness. He knows how God has been there before and has no doubt He will hear and answer David's pleas. Jesus and David have this in common: their great faith in God's guidance over their lives. We see time and again Jesus praying to the Father for help and guidance and assurance. David has done the same thing throughout the Psalms and ends this block of text repeating how much he trusts God.

Verses 7-15
David reflects on how God has seen him through before when he was in trouble. Instead of allowing David to be handed over to his enemies, God put him in a large space which indicates freedom of movement, ability to roam freely, and it is not the trap of the enemy that he feels like he is now. Even though he trusts God, he is still in distress, so he asks for mercy. His body is feeling the grief and turmoil. He is under great stress and emotionally he is not well. He feels the effects of a lifetime of hardships, battles, and fighting. He felt isolated, alone, even from those he was acquainted with. He felt forgotten, and useless, like a broken vessel. Have you ever been there? Yesterday was that day for me. It was torment and pain in the depths of my soul but my anchor is Jesus and I hung on with all the strength I could muster.

David felt like he was surrounded by enemies. He could hear those slander and gossip about him. He felt fear on every side. They took counsel about David and chose death for him. I have felt the sting of harsh words and gossip. I have heard a family member say some pretty hurtful, untrue things about my family and myself and it felt like we had no one but each other. We felt abandoned and there was fear and torment in that moment. Do you know who else experienced this? It was worse than what I felt. It was worse than what David went through. Let's look in the New Testament. MATTHEW 27:1-2 When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put Him to death: And when they had bound Him, they led Him away, and delivered Him to Pontius Pilate the governor. We will never understand that kind of fear, turmoil, and stress as knowing you are walking to your death. Jesus knew it. He knew He had to be crucified for the people. He knew His Father's Plan.

I love the way David says it in verses 14 and 15. "But I trusted in Thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God. My times are in Thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me." David reiterates that even though he sees the circumstances for what they are: evil, he still maintains his trust in God.

Verses 16-22
David wants God's face to shine upon him and be merciful to him. He wants to not be put to shame for trusting God. In fact, he wants those who do not trust God to be ashamed. He asks for them to be silenced from speaking ill toward the children of God. He is encouraged when he thinks of God's goodness. David says, "Oh how great is Thy goodness, which Thou hast laid up for them that fear Thee; and those that trust You." (verse 19) We have put our trust in God so we can count on Him to show up in love and mercy and shower His goodness upon us. We are not alone. He hides us and shields us from the mouth of the enemy. David thought he was as good as dead, but he now sees God heard his prayers and came to his rescue! He will do the same for us.

Verses 23-24
David ends this beautiful chapter with instructions for us. Let's read it together:
"O love the LORD, all ye His saints; for the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer." In other words, God will save and keep us who are faithful to Him. He will also give a generous reward to the proud doer, but their reward is nothing His children would ever want. We do not want to be prideful and arrogant. They will receive their reward in the end for disobeying God and not trusting Him.

"Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD." My situation did not change today from yesterday, but my sister prayed for me. My friend prayed for me and I do not know who all prayed but I can say that today I feel so much better. I have peace where I had fear. I have hope when I had despair. I am trusting God no matter how bleak things look right now. I know God is going to see our family through this adversity and we will come out stronger for it and hopefully will be able to encourage others in their times of waiting and wondering.

Friends, I started a new job and it has been a varied schedule of training and learning and working on my own, so I hope to have a better routine to get these blog posts up earlier. In the meantime, I will do my best to post as often as I can. I hope you have been encouraged and helped. I sure feel like God was telling me that He sees me in my pain and my struggling and He is not far off looking down at me, but He is near to me and walking through this valley with not only me and my family, but any of you who are experiencing trials and tribulations as well. Let's pray for one another.

God bless you friends.
~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment