Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Psalm 20 | Wednesday Bible Study

 


Hello friends. Welcome back to another Wednesday Bible Study. We are continuing our series through the book of Psalms this year and we are in Psalm 20 today. It is a short chapter, only nine verses. This is another psalm of David. If you have not taken the time to read today's passage, please do so. Pray and ask Holy Spirit to open your spiritual eyes and ears to see and hear what He wants to teach us. Let's allow Him to plant this precious Word in the fertile soil of our hearts. As I typically do, today I will break the verses down and share what God is giving me to share with all of you.

Verses 1-4
David begins this chapter, in the first three verses, telling us about God. He says this:
1. God hears us in times of trouble.
2. By His name He defends us.
3. He will send us help.
4. God will strengthen us.
5. He will remember what we offer Him.
6. He accepts our burnt sacrifices.
7. He will grant our heart's desire.
8. God will fulfill our purpose, or another version says He will make our plans succeed.

In verse three, it tells us to pause and think about that. I think this is a great time to stop and reflect on all of these things. How many of us can honestly say that we have experienced these blessings as we walk with our Savior, Jesus? I know that I can look back over my life and see God doing all of these things for me. I have not offered burnt sacrifices but I have sacrificed as much as He told me to do.

Verse 5
What will we do about this knowledge of what God is doing for us, has done, and will continue to do? David says we will rejoice and set up our banners. We will praise God and lift up the banner proclaiming He is our Savior. Then in this same verse it says, The LORD will answer all our prayers. What a promise! What encouragement! This is awesome!

Verse 6
Now David is convinced and has confidence that God will save His anointed people. He will hear our cries from His Holy heaven and will save us with the strength of His right hand. Isn't this such a rich message today? We know God is listening to us, answering our prayers, helping us and delivering us in the day of our distress and times of trouble! What peace that comes from knowing that!

Verse 7
I was walking last night and I was praying; just asking God for an increase of faith and wisdom about some things He told me. My life was not matching up with what He said and I know that life is crazy and God is never wrong, so I needed Him to help me make sense of some things. It is not something I can understand in the natural with logic and reasoning. I said this as I was walking, "I will not trust in chariots, or horses, because I know You are with me and will deliver me with Your righteous right hand." And when I read this verse I had such joy in my soul because I did not know this verse was going to be in this particular chapter that I would be studying with you all today.

Isaiah 31:1 Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay (rely) on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the LORD! In Isaiah we see that God says woe to them who trust in the strength and force of other humans and things that seem like they are secure. Why? They are not looking to God, the Holy One of Israel to fight their battles and bring them victory.

It may seem scary when we see the enemy in great numbers against us. We may not be popular because of our faith and morals, but God gives us a word of encouragement in Deuteronomy. He tells us not to be afraid of them. Deuteronomy 20:1 When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies, and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them: for the LORD thy God is with thee, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt. We do not need to fear because God is with us and He has delivered us from trouble and distress before.

Verse 8
The things the world puts all their trust in will be brought down and fall. We will rise and stand because God is with us and He cares about us. Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of Me, saith the LORD.

Why would God do this for His children? Hebrews 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward His name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. Keep working for God and keep honoring His name. He will not forget the things we give up, sacrifice, or let go of for the cause of Christ. He will not forget the work we do in love to further His Kingdom on this earth.

Verse 9
David ends the chapter with hope. "Save LORD! May the King answer us when we call." He will absolutely answer us when we call and I am so thankful for that.

I have been strengthened and encouraged with today's Bible study. I hope that you are blessed and encouraged as well. It is my prayer that something you read on this blog today has been strength for your journey and light for your way. God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment