Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Psalm 18 | Bible Study Wednesday

We are 18 weeks in to the study of Psalms. Today we have a long chapter to cover! Have you read it yet? There are 50 verses and we are going to divide it up into six sections. If you have not read it, please do so and be in prayer to ask Holy Spirit to lead and guide you. I know it is a long text today but it is so important that we dive in deep to glean everything we can from today's passage. Let's get started.

Verses 1-5
David is celebrating the victory. This is a psalm he sang the day the LORD delivered him from the hand of Saul. He says in verse three, "I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies." What has God delivered you from? I can feel the jubilation David is singing this psalm. He is elated that God spared his life.

Verses 6-19
David remembers that he called upon God to deliver him and God answered his prayer. He says God swiftly went to David's side to rescue him from danger. In verse 19 he says, "He brought me forth also into a large place; He delivered me, because He delighted in me." Can we say the same thing? Can we say God is delighted in us?

Verses 20-29
David shares about his lifestyle, his character, and his walk with God. He says, in verse 23, "I was also upright before Him, and I kept myself from iniquity." He stayed away from sin. He lived a life to honor and please God. He obeyed His laws and statues because David loves God. Are we doing the harder right or the easier wrong? David did not wait for trouble to come before he got his heart right with God. He did not wait for danger to surround him before he chose to obey God. In David's obedience and disciplined lifestyle, he was ready for God's protection and provision to be granted. He was in fellowship with God.

Verses 30-39
This section of scripture is David bragging on God. He is giving God the credit and the glory for strengthening him and teaching him what to do to be successful in battle. He says in verse 32, "It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect." He wants everyone to know that this victory was nothing David did. He glorifies and honors God with this incredible answer to prayer.

Verses 40-45
David recounts the victory. He says in verse 40, "Thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies; that I might destroy them that hate me." We have the full armor of God according to Ephesians chapter 6 to battle our enemies. Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. We claim the victory over enemies today, too. Our victory was won by Jesus!

Verses 46-50
In verse 47 David says, "It is God that avengeth me, and subdueth the people under me." It is God. That is the key to the whole thing. It is only God that can bring us the victory. In Zechariah 4:6, the Word of the LORD came saying, "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the LORD of hosts." It is not anything we can do in our own ability. Our victory is comes from the God!

Whatever we face in our lives; the struggles, the challenges, and difficulties, God is able to conquer it all. He gives us the victory and like David we can sing His praises and be glad that He has delivered us from the hand of our enemies.

God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment