Friday, June 17, 2022

Choosing God's Peace | S.O.A.P. Bible Study | Thankful Thursday

I missed my Thankful Thursday post yesterday due to illness. I am feeling strong enough today to share it so I thought it is better late than never! I wanted to do another S.O.A.P. Bible Study in my PrintPression Weeks. It is the perfect book to do this in as each page has four squares. It enables me to do a quick study and I love it. I hope you will enjoy it, too.

I started with the blank page above, and added some washi tape to each of the header blocks, shown below.
I love my Dymo label maker. I use it for so many things and it is perfect for adding the titles: Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer as you see below.
I placed the labels over the washi tape. You could simply write the titles in by hand, but I like the look of the labels.
I saw Colossians 3:15 and really wanted to do a S.O.A.P. Bible study on that. So I wrote out the scripture and read it in my Bible. I highlighted the verse in my Bible and read the verses surrounding it as well. It is imperative to have a good context when studying God's Word. We may think the verse means one thing, but once we read the chapter it is in and any cross-referencing it provides, we gain a better understanding of what the Scripture is saying.
I am using a BIC Intensity Fine point pen in pink because I like how it looks with the teal washi tape. I come back when my page is complete and added an arrow below the verse to take up the space. I used a stencil to trace the arrow and then colored in a checker board pattern with the pink pen seen here and an Art Alternative Fineliner pen (AA10747).
I used some dot stickers for bullet points. I observed three things in this verse. First, that it is a choice to let God's peace rule in our hearts. Paul was telling us to allow it, but ultimately it is our choice. I admit that sometimes I allow fear to rule my heart instead of God's peace and it never works in my favor. Second, I observed that I am to live my life in partnership with God. I am called into the Body of Christ and therefore to live any other way than letting God lead me is never going to please God. And finally, I observed that God deserves my gratitude and thankfulness always. He is worthy of it and there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for.
This section is where I make a game plan to apply this Scripture to my life. I need to first ask for God's peace. I need to welcome His peace into my heart and allow myself to live in that peace that only God can give. I need to remember that this is the way of the believer. It is the acceptable thing to do. And finally I need to thank God all the time, and not just offer up thanksgiving or gratitude when I get my way, or have an answered prayer. I am to thank God all the time because He is always doing something good in my life and turning the bad into better things so He is worthy of all the praise.
This section is personal and I cannot tell you what to pray, but I wanted to share my prayer with you in a S.O.A.P. Bible study. My prayer is:
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your peace and love. Help me to remember You are in control and I can trust You. Thank You, Jesus.
AMEN!
Here is one final look at the S.O.A.P. Bible study page. I hope it has given you something to ponder and even motivate you to do a S.O.A.P. Bible study on your own.

This Thankful Thursday I am grateful for the peace of God that sustains me in the darkest valleys. I hope that you will count your blessings with me! God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment