Friday, June 10, 2022

Not Too Hard | Fuel For The Weekend


In the book of Jeremiah, we pick up the story close to the middle of chapter thirty-two. Jeremiah is in prison for prophesying, "Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall take it; And Zedekiah king of Judah shall not escape out of the hand of the Chaldeans, but shall surely be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon, and shall speak with him mouth to mouth, and his eyes shall behold his eyes; And he shall lead Zedekiah to Babylon, and there shall he be until I visit him, saith the LORD: though ye fight with the Chaldeans, ye shall not prosper."

Jeremiah could have been discouraged about being in prison for obeying the voice of God, but he was not alone. God spoke to him while he was in prison and told him that his cousin would be visiting him. God said that Jeremiah's cousin would ask him to buy his field in Anathoth because it was his legal right to purchase it. Hanameel came to visit him just like God told him and offered the land. Jeremiah said, "Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD." So Jeremiah purchased the land and went through the customary ritual of doing so.

God has said, "Houses and fields and vineyards shall be possessed again in this land." So after Jeremiah delivered the evidence to Baruch, this was Jeremiah's prayer to God.
JEREMIAH 32:17-18 Ah Lord GOD! behold, Thou hast made the heaven and the earth by Thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for Thee: Thou shewest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God, the LORD of hosts, is His name.

Jeremiah continues for several verses talking about the good things of God. And then God answered Jeremiah and said, "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for Me?"

He begins to tell what He will do in His anger. God is furious with the children of Israel and children of Judah. God said, "For the children of Israel and the children of Judah have only done evil before Me from their youth: for the children of Israel have only provoked Me to anger with the work of their hands, saith the LORD." He is angry because they have disobeyed Him and followed after false idols and gods.

God continues, "Because of all the evil of the children of Israel and of the children of Judah, which they have done to provoke Me to anger, they, their kings, their princes, their priests, and their prophets, and the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And they have turned unto Me their back, and not the face: though I taught them, rising up early and teaching them, yet they have not hearkened to receive instruction."

I know that God is talking about the children of Israel, but could He be talking about me? I just think how often have I provoked God to anger when I did not believe what He said, or I questioned Him because things do not look like He said they would. Have I been so careless as to think that God is unfair and unjust and has abandoned us? How many times has He told me how much He loves me and is with me and to not be afraid?

God is merciful and loving, though. Remember what Jeremiah said? His mercy is shown to thousands. He is great in counsel and mighty in all He does and He sees everything we all do. He knows our thoughts, our intentions, our attitudes, and our motives. He is not taken off guard by anything we say or do. Yes, we disappoint God, but how often do we make Him angry? I am so thankful He is a loving and merciful God. He is slow to get angry and He asks the same of us.

God has a redemption plan. "And now therefore thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning this city, whereof ye say, It shall be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence; Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, whither I have driven them in Mine anger, and in My fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely: And they shall be My people, and I will be their God: And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear Me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them: And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put My fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from Me."

God will use the situations we are in to shape us into His image. He will correct our course and change our thought patterns at the same time. Transformation begins when we change the way we think. We may be on the other side of God's discipline and love but it is for our good. The hard times make us stronger because we are forced to rely solely on Him. His strength is made perfect in our weakness. 

2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

The trials are for our good. The hard times are for us to draw closer to God. Can we, like Paul, say that we will glory in our infirmities? Maybe we are not quite there yet, some may be, but when we get to the point where we say I would rather glory in my mental or physical weaknesses so the power of Jesus Christ may rest on me, then we will begin to see the victory in our life. We will no longer be bound with chains of heaviness, loneliness, depression, and isolation. We will be free to realize these trials only serve to make me stronger.

How can this happen? Who, but God, could turn failures into fantastic testaments of His grace and love? Who, but God, can take us through fiery trials and transform us into pure gold? It is God alone. No one else can do it. It is impossible with man. It is impossible with life and all the disappointments and frustrations that come with it. We could never accomplish the same outcomes but when God gets involved He starts turning things around.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.

Right now you may be facing some impossible circumstances. It might feel like there is absolutely no way out, and you are drowning in a sea of despair. But just remember you are not alone. God is in control and He knows the plans He has for you. He says so in Jeremiah 29:11-13. Take some time to pray and ask God for direction. When we face a situation that seems impossible to get through, remember there is nothing too hard for God. He sees the whole picture and we see in part. He will navigate us through this crazy, scary world if we will only trust Him and believe.

Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and will think about what I have shared today. What hardships are you facing? What mountains are standing in your way? God may not move the mountain but He will teach you how to climb. Hang on! Help is on the way!! I hope something I have shared today has been strength for your journey and light for your way. God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment