Friday, March 25, 2022

Don't Put It Off | Fuel For The Weekend


I like spring cleaning. I know it is not for everyone, but there is just something so satisfying about sweeping away the cobwebs, shaking out the rugs, and polishing the wood furniture. It is so refreshing to open the windows and allow the fresh air to blow through the house. I miss having my own home and being able to do all of those things.

Tonight I was able to do some deep cleaning. My kids have been lax about putting away their clothes and things. There was so much stuff that it was impossible to neatly organize it. I feel bad that my children do not have their own rooms and we are still not in our own home. But, that does not mean we should not be good stewards of what we have been given. So, this evening I helped my children sort through clothes, art supplies, memorabilia, hygiene products, you name it! We have bags full for donations, some bags full for the landfill, and bags for the storage unit. We briefly had the window open and the fresh air was much needed. It was so nice to see the room transformed before my eyes.

As satisfying as it is, deep cleaning is a lot of work. My kids both have medical conditions that cause pain and hinder them from doing certain movements easily. More than once I heard complaints and groans and sighs of exasperation. I allowed some breaks but I reminded them we must stay on task and focus. It is similar to how we must be on our Christian journey.

We are to daily take up our cross and follow Jesus. Do you remember reading that? LUKE 9:23 "And He said to them all, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." The first part is to deny ourselves. Deny ourselves what? EPHESIANS 2:1-3 (1)And you hath He quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins: (2)Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: (3)Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. Let's deny ourselves conversations that lead us to envy, or desire what others have. Let's deny our flesh the desires that will cause us to be distracted from following the laws of God. We must deny our thoughts to creep in that keep us thinking about what the world is doing. Are we worried? Are we anxious? What is the status of our mental health? We were once just like the world. The first part of falling in step with Jesus Christ is to let Him do the leading.

Step two in walking with Jesus is to daily take up our cross. We must put on the mind of Christ. PHILIPPIANS 2:5-8 (5)Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: (6)Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: (7)But made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: (8)And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. The mind of Christ is humility and obedience to His Father. He obeyed all the way to the cross. He knew who He was and He knew who His Father was. He was willing to do anything the Father asked Him to do, including lay down His life in a sacrificial offering on the cross. Daily taking up our cross is carrying the burden the Lord gave us to do. It is not hard. 1 JOHN 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous. He did not ask us to do anything that He didn't do Himself. His commandments are not hard. He does not give us heavy crosses to bear. MATTHEW 11:28-30 Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (29)Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me: for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. (30)For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light. What an invitation! We can rest and learn about Him and draw strength from Him. How often? Daily! All day long the invitation stands. We must not just take up our cross when others are looking, or if it is convenient, or if we want to that particular day. We must make a choice every single morning before we start our day that we are going to pick up our cross and carry it wherever He says to go.

The third and final step to walking with Jesus is to follow Him. He has to be the leader. We cannot run ahead and hope He follows along. We cannot just go out and do our own thing and think He should bless it and honor our own way of doing things. No, Jesus said to follow Him. MATTHEW 4:19 And He saith unto them, Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men. Jesus does not want us to play a childhood game of Follow the Leader. No, He wants us to follow Him so we can know Him and know His will for us. He wants us to be fishers of men. I like the phrase I read once, We catch them, He cleans them! We are to go and make disciples so we can reach the whole world in telling them about Jesus. Remember the young man who had kept all the commandments from his youth and asked what else he lacked? MATTHEW 19:21-22 (21)Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow Me. (22)But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.  Follow Jesus and do not work for money and chase the purse all the days of your life. Jesus is able to meet our every need and we only must trust Him and love and serve Him. 

So often we have comfort in our riches and in the things we possess and we do not want to get out of our comfort zone. We are afraid we will be poor and destitute. The rich young man had no idea that serving Jesus would give him a richer life than his fortune ever could, and the rewards are eternal. MATTHEW 10:37-39 (37)He that loveth father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. (38)And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after Me, is not worthy of Me. (39)He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for My sake shall find it. Jesus made it very clear, we need to deny ourselves, daily take up our cross, and follow Jesus. Let's not put it off and procrastinate. Let's not wait until we feel like it or everyone else is doing it. We may be the only one doing it but if we love Jesus we will want to.

My daughter was ready to give up when we had accomplished so much. She only had a little work left to do. I pushed her gently because I knew she would feel so much better when that stuff was all cleaned up and put up nicely. Afterward she admitted she was glad it was done. She saw the effort paid off in the end. We may be struggling along on our journey with the LORD. We may not see a break coming up and only see the overwhelming work everywhere we look. Do not give up friend. You can keep going. Take a break with the Master. Rest in Jesus and learn about Him. Then go set the world on fire for His glory. He is so worth serving and loving. He is such a good and wonderful King. He is helping you. Will you do it? Don't put it off. The rewards are coming.

I hope something I have shared today has made you take a look at your daily walk with Jesus. I was procrastinating on sharing a post today. I told God, "I just don't think I have anything to say." He said to me, "You're right. You don't have anything to say, but I do." I understood and grabbed my laptop and my Bible. I am so glad I did. This was like a deep cleansing of my soul. I am so thankful for the nudging of Holy Spirit to help me hear and obey. I hope as you start your weekend you think about what I have shared today and that it gives you strength for your journey and light for your way. God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment