Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Psalm 13 | Bible Study Wednesday


We are in the book of Psalms all year. We have studied 12 psalms so far. Today we turn our attention to chapter 13. If you have not done so, I encourage you to take a few moments to pray and ask Holy Spirit to open your spiritual eyes and ears to what He would have you to know. Read through the text and then with your Bible remaining open, come back to this post and we will study it together.

David has written many of the psalms, and this is yet another one that he penned. In six short verses he goes from being distraught and sorrowful to trusting and singing to God. What happens in verses three and four that change David's song? Let's find out.

Verses 1-2
David spends both verses asking God questions. "How long will You forget me, O LORD? Forever? How long will you hide Your face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?" Those are some big questions. David is desperate for answers. Have you ever been there? Are you there now?

David feels a distance between himself and God. He feels like God has forgotten about him. We read later in Psalm 27:8 David says, "When You said, Seek My face; my heart said unto You, Your face, LORD, I will seek." We see this happening here in verse one, David is seeking God's face and he feels like there is something in the way where he cannot press in like he wants to. The fellowship he has with God feels strained and he just wants to know how long this will last. 

In the margin of my Bible I wrote this on October 3, 2021, "I relate to 'how long'? waiting on our house." You see, Thanksgiving Day, November 2020 God told my husband and me to move back to Indiana and that He had a beautiful home for us there. We were living in Alabama at the time. We received further instruction to move before the end of the year and everything fell into place so quickly and smooth that we knew it was God's provision. We left our wonderful home in the Gulf of Mexico on my daughter's birthday, December 27, 2020. So when I wrote that statement it had been almost one full year since God made us that promise and each time we tried to rent or purchase a home of our own, the doors were slammed in our face month after month. I was weary of waiting. April 27 will be 16 months since we moved back. We were in Alabama for 16 months so I am hoping that something breaks for us soon because it is a challenge to live with other people for so long when you have your own family and you just want your own life back. I have more determination now but the waiting is hard. I try to remind myself we are much closer now than when we moved back. God never promised the home would be available as soon as we got back to Indiana, but we certainly hoped it would be that way. What are you waiting for God to do that feels so long?

David is saying in these first two verses that he is seeking God's face. He is not necessarily asking for God to do something for him, but he longs to be in fellowship with God. He wants that connection he felt before. As we went from month to month, we were seeking God's hands for a home, and now we are seeking God's will and His fellowship. We know He has not forgotten us, like He had not forgotten David. Isaiah 49:15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. What a beautiful promise!

Verse 3-4
David says, "Consider and hear me O LORD my God." This is personal. He wants God to think about him. In other words, he is asking God to concern Himself with David; to give careful thought to him and his situation. Is that not our prayer as well? Lord God remember me. He asks God to allow him to see His face again. He is asking for life from the Life Giver. Life is not worth living if we do not have close communion with God.

In verse four he says he wants God to vindicate him and protect him so his enemies will not be able to mock him and taunt him while he is down. He does not want them to celebrate his failures. None of us want the world to see us fail. None of us want to lose face to our friends and loved ones. David is asking for God's grace and mercy.

Verses 5-6
David starts to get his strength back. He remembers something. He says, "But I have trusted in Your mercy, or loving kindness." What are we trusting in? Are we trusting in God's mercy to sustain us? Are we truly remembering that His mercies are new every morning? (Lamentations 3:22-23) Are we drawing strength from knowing God is fighting for us? David said his heart rejoices in knowing God has saved him. Do we rejoice in knowing we have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb? Are we rejoicing in what God has already done for us?

The last verse in this chapter, David says, "I will sing unto the LORD, because He hath dealt bountifully with me." David sees how God has generously given him all things. The Message Bible translates this to say, "I've thrown myself headlong into Your arms --- I'm celebrating Your rescue. I'm singing at the top of my lungs, I'm so full of answered prayers." How full are we of answered prayers?

Last Sunday I went to the altar to ask God yet again, to open the door for us to get our own home. I told Him I was coming to Him with all the faith I had and if it was not enough, I asked Him to give me more. I was so broken because I really want our own home again and I know that is not a selfish desire. It is a basic need and He said in His Word that He would provide for us. Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. I memorized that one long ago. I love that He promised to meet our needs according to His riches and not mine; and He does it through Jesus Christ, not through me. I could not pray for a house anymore, and I just fell to my knees at the altar and poured out my heart in tears. I uttered no word, just wept and wept and wept. I felt as though God was pouring something out of me.

A woman was singing in her heavenly language softly in my left ear. My face and ear grew so hot that I felt it might catch fire. It was a beautiful song, a sweet expression that melted my heart and so much was poured out. Another lady was summoned to pray over me and God began to heal my broken heart. It took some time and they were patient with me. They allowed Holy Spirit to complete the work. I got up from that altar, lighter and happier than I have been in a very long time. I thought I was going to pray about a specific need but God saw the greater need and met that one instead.

I know that God has promised us a beautiful home. I do not ask for anything fancy or elaborate. I want a home with my husband and our two children. I want to clean my own home, cook our meals, have a place for everything, see all our clothing, important papers, and possessions anytime I want instead of having to drive to the storage unit to try to locate something. It is a challenge, but we do have a roof over our heads and God has supplied many needs we have had. He continues to provide. I do not know when He will choose to free us from this situation and allow us to enjoy our own home again, but it is so hard on this mama's heart to see her kids live a life I never wanted them to experience. I do trust God and I know He knows best. His ways are not mine and I certainly do not understand all the steps we are taking right now, but maybe one day I will. For now I choose to keep my hand in God's hand and trust Him with every twist and turn this life might throw at us.

I hope you have been encouraged today with what I have shared. I know it has encouraged me. I hope it has done the same for you. Do you have a need I can pray for? Please reach out to me and I will pray for every request I am given. I hope that something you have read on the blog today has been strength for your journey and light for your way. God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment