Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Work In Progress Wednesday | Bible Study

I enjoy knitting. I have been a knitter for nearly two decades. I have made dish cloths, coasters, teddy bears for kids in foster care, hats for a homeless shelter, hat and booty sets for newborns in the hospital nursery, prayer shawls, blankets, and a variety of other small projects. No matter how quickly I could knit something, it seemed there was never enough time to complete it in one sitting. This led to many WIP's or Works In Progress. Often we would share in our knitting circles what WIP's we had and what we hoped to finish. I thought this would make a great Bible study topic, because we are all Works In Progress.

There are no perfect people. I attend a church that has a message in bold letters on the side of the building NO PERFECT PEOPLE ALLOWED. It made me think. In a world where competition is fierce, perfectionism prevalent, and comparison is more like a hobby, we fight the urge to not lose heart if we don't measure up to the world's standard. The good news for Christ followers is that the Bible underlines the message that there are no perfect people that ever lived. Jesus was the only perfect person that lived. The rest of us can find our place in Romans 3:23.

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

When I was younger I was fascinated by pottery. The messy work of water and clay on a spinning wheel produced something beautiful and useful. It gripped my heart as a young adult and I listened to my dad minister about how we are all clay in the Potter's hand. We are placed on His wheel and with His skill and vision for what we could be, He molds us and smooths out the rough edges. We are all on the Potter's Wheel Jeremiah talked about.

Jeremiah 18:1-6   (1) The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, (2) Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear My words. (3) Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. (4) And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. (5) Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, (6) O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in Mine hand, O house of Israel.

The idea that we are being shaped into the image of God, created into the men and women He wants us to be, gives me hope and joy. Our future is in His hands. He has the plans, the dreams, the vision for us. He knows if we will need to be a vessel to hold flowers, or a sturdy cup to hold the pen of a writer. Maybe some of us will hold the refreshing water for a parched soul. We all have unique abilities and skills based on the manner in which He creates us.

My knitting WIP's often would be picked up in my spare time, worked on here and there, and eventually I could slip the finished piece off the needles, carefully inspect my work, and admire what I had created. The potter will eventually stop the wheel from spinning, the clay worked as much as could be, and the vessel ready for the finishing touches. What about us? We are all God's workmanship. We are all being fashioned and formed with every test, every trial, every disappointment, every hardship, and every pain. The joys transform us, too. When will we be complete?

Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:"

The good news is we never arrive; we never become complete and perfect without flaws. We are always being changed. I used to sing a song when I was growing up called "He's Still Working On Me." What a powerful song to instill in the hearts of young children that God is working on us. We have the mirror of His word to reflect on. We have a lot of growing and developing character and integrity to do. God is doing the work inside us as we allow Him to.

Let's give each other mercy and grace as we do life together. No one is perfect and that is okay. We all have something good to give to the world, and we can offer each other hope and love. One day when we get ready to be with the Lord forever, we will be perfected. The work will be complete. The hands of God will rest as He looks with joy at the masterpiece He has made. What a day that will be!

God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! He perfects our imperfections through Him. As the the song says how loving and patient He must be. Thank you God for leading and guiding us.

    ReplyDelete