Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Be Patient | Bible Study

Patience is something not many people brag about having much of. Often I hear people say, "I am not a patient person." "I don't have much patience." "I need more patience." My mother used to always tell me, "Patience, Bridgett. Just be patient." I, too, have struggled with this fruit of the Spirit. I simply do not like to wait.

In our society, we are conditioned to hurry. We rush in and out of the stores. We are in a mad dash down the road. We enter a meeting with papers in a whirl as we try to get there on time knowing we have ten more things to do before the meeting gets started. We multi-task and juggle and struggle and in the end, is it even worth it?

I grew up in rural southern Indiana. One day I was in my house and I heard a knock at the door. I had not heard any vehicles drive up so I was not sure who it could be. I opened the door and there stood a sweet little Amish woman. She and her children had stopped by to see if I would like to purchase her handmade jams and jellies. We talked for a little bit and then off they went in their horse and buggy. No rush to get to the next place. No hurried sales pitch to peddle her wares. It was so nice and left me smiling and happy. I admire the way of life of the Amish, though it seems strange to me to not have electricity and other amenities that my family and I enjoy.

What's our rush? Why can't we slow down as a society? My dad used to get frustrated when I would say, "Can I ask you something real quick?" He would always ask me, "What's your hurry? You don't have to ask real quick." He was not being silly. He meant it. He genuinely did not like to rush conversation and there was no reason he could think of that I would need to say anything in a hurry. The book of James touches on patience, so even in Bible days this was an issue for many.

JAMES 5:7-11 (7) Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and the latter rain. (8) Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. (9) Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door. (10) Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. (11) Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

James encouraged the oppressed people to be patient. James tells them to strengthen their hearts with the hope of Christ's coming. With the focus on hope it creates patience even under oppressive conditions. We could take that same message to apply it to our lives. James reminds them just like the farmer waits for the crop and is patient, we are to also have the same endurance. We must wait on God to give us all that He promised would be fruitful in our lives. It takes time to get the things we desire, but we must work towards it and not give up. We have to remember the prophets who were under extreme persecution and yet we talk about how happy they were to make it through to the end. We know Job had patience but we do not want to suffer as long or as much as he did to get the blessings he got in the end. The Lord is compassionate and merciful.

I like how The Message Bible reads James 5:11 "Take the old prophets as your mentors. They put up with anything, went through everything, and never once quit, all the time honoring God. What a gift life is to those who stay the course! You've heard, of course, of Job's staying power, and you know how God brought it all together for him at the end. That's because God cares, cares right down to the last detail." Friends, He really does care right down to the last detail. I have heard it said, "The devil is in the details." I am here to tell you that God is in the details! God does not form elaborate plans and amazing stories for our lives and leave out the details. He knows every single thing about the trials and tests we must endure. He leaves nothing out!

James tells us in chapter one that trials make patience. He said in chapter one, verses three and four: "Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." In other words, trials make our faith stronger. We need to endure the trail because when patience has been perfected in us we are complete. We can face bigger trials because we have overcome the smaller obstacles. Our faith is like a spiritual muscle that gets larger with use. 

I know it's been a crazy year. It has been a struggle with the ups and downs of Covid-19, lockdown, masks, no masks, sometimes masks, eating in restaurants, not eating in restaurants, going to church, not going to church in person but meeting online, and on and on and on. The election, race riots, hurricanes, tornadoes, natural disasters, and so much more has caused many to get discouraged, to give up, to quit, and to turn away from the Word of God. Please grab your Bibles and read about the hardships that men and women had to face. Read in Hebrews chapter 11 of the men and women of faith. There are so many witnesses in the Bible who have endured hardship like a good soldier, endured until the end, and came forth like fine gold. Do not despise the trials; they only serve to make you stronger.

Be patient. It is hard to wait. It is not much fun to wait. It is frustrating to wait. Wait on the Lord and Isaiah says, "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31) There is a promise for those who endure until the end. Do not give up. Do not quit. Do not walk away. Do not run from your gifts and callings. Do not think it's over. God is not done with you yet. Watch Him do the impossible in your life! He is able!

I hope something I have shared today has been strength for your journey and light for your way. God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment