Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Be Careful Who You Oppose

Paul and I were careful about who we shared God's plan for our lives with. We told the Pastor of our church and Kadesia and I told her youth pastor. I shared with my Moms In Prayer group. They kept my confidence. Others started talking about us moving to Alabama and it started becoming a situation where some people in our church, who came faithfully, read the same Bible verses that I read, believe in and love God, would say hurtful things to us. Some were supportive, but there were those who questioned if I had truly heard from God. As if I would just make up a story, quit my job that I loved, uproot our family, cause my husband to leave a job he was advancing in, and leave our life for the complete unknown! That is not who I am. My husband loves me, but unless God moved on his heart, and the heart of our children, we would not have left everything in Indiana and moved to Alabama, trusting that He would meet our needs and provide for us like He has. Some even said they were praying against our move. They meant well. They wanted us to stay. They did not believe that we were leaving. It seemed to far-fetched. The Holy Spirit started talking to me and He comforted me with the Scriptures I am going to share with you today.

ACTS 5:12-39
12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
13 And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.
14 And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women.)
15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
16 There came also a multitude out of the cities round about unto Jerusalem, bringing sick folks, and them which were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed every one.
17 Then the high priest rose up, and all they that were with him, (which is the sect of the Sadducees,) and were filled with indignation,
18 And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.
19 But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth, and said,
20 Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.
21 And when they heard that, they entered into the temple early in the morning, and taught. But the high priest came, and they that were with him, and called the council together, and all the senate of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought.
22 But when the officers came, and found them not in the prison, they returned and told,
23 Saying, The prison truly found we shut with all safety, and the keepers standing without before the doors: but when we had opened, we found no man within.
24 Now when the high priest and the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these things, they doubted of them whereunto this would grow.
25 Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.
26 Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.
27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,
28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
31 Him hath God exalted with His right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
32 And we are His witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey Him.
33 When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.
34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.
36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.
37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.
38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:
39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found to fight against God.

This is the Scriptures that the Holy Spirit comforted me with. He said to me, "They better be careful! If you are doing this all in your own strength and in your own power, it will never turn out to anything. But if you are obeying the voice of God, they better not try to stop or hinder what God has told you to do!"

I know that it seems crazy to most people. Some days we just cannot believe this is happening, but it is! God really called me on seven fasts from January through July. He really told us in January that He was calling us to Mobile, Alabama. He really said He would make provision for the kids' schools, for our church, for a place to live, and for our jobs. He has done that. We know we are still waiting for a home of our own and jobs in addition to the work we do at our church, but God's timing is best. His timing is not my timing and as impatient as we can be, we just simply trust God to keep His Word. We know He will.

I still love my church family, and those who said they didn't believe I had heard from God, and those who said they were praying against our move, are still important people to me and to God. I continue to pray for the church we attended in Indiana. I pray the ministry grows. I pray that perhaps there will be those in that church who choose to step out in faith to obey the call of God on their life regardless of what that might look like to everyone else.

I know they meant well. I know they did not want us to move away. They appreciated what we meant to the church. They did not want to see us make a move like that and discover it was not ever in God's plans for us. They were not trying to be mean. Those words still stung. We have great friends we remain in touch with in Indiana from that church who pray for us, wish us the best, rejoice with us in things God has done for us, and continue to believe with us for the rest to come.

If you are trying to decide if you heard from God, He will reveal the answer to you in a way you have no other choice but to know YES! If you are not hearing His voice, He will gently tell you that, too, and lead you in the path He is calling you. If you have been fortunate enough to have a friend or family member confide in you about big plans He has for them, please do not nay say. Do not put them down. Do not tell them they are wrong. Do not question if they truly heard from God. Just pray for them. Listen to them. Ask God to keep their minds clear, their ears open, their eyes focused, and their hearts alert to the prompting of the Holy Spirit who will lead and guide us into all truth.

For many years, I remember singing "Where He leads I'll follow. Follow all the way." It would be a lie if I sang that each church service as I lead the congregation if I did not mean every word. Yes it was hard. I had a very hard time accepting that we had to move somewhere we knew no one. We had no family here. No friends, except for a brief encounter with a divine connection for our journey. And before July we did not even know her. It was difficult to think of all the reasons why we should go, when it seemed so crazy. No jobs lined up. No home to go to. No big savings account to sustain us. Where would the kids go to school? Where would we attend church? How could we honor God with our time, money, and effort? What was the purpose of the move? What was He calling us to do in Alabama that we couldn't do in Indiana. 

Not all of our questions are answered. Some are being answered as I compose this post. Some questions have been answered and it blew my mind. Some answers are not for right now. I must wait. Have patience. Keep my eyes on Jesus and trust that He will keep His Word. He has never broken a promise to me. He has never lied to me. He has never been unfaithful. He has been a loving, generous, gracious, merciful Savior and King. I could not do life without Him.

I hope something I have shared today has been strength for your journey and light for your way!

God bless you!
~Bridgett Owens


No comments:

Post a Comment