Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Car Trouble and Fish Nets

Paul and I took Javan to school this morning. His school is around 35 minutes away. After we dropped him off, we drove around, went a few places, came home, then back out to a few more places, and back over to Javan's school to pick him up. We drove to the gym and we drove to church, then we went to a restaurant for a quick bite afterwards, and then back home. Kadesia and Javan drove separately to the restaurant and then when we were going home, I got in with Kadesia and Javan rode with Paul. I thought all was well and we talked as we made our way the short distance home. We arrived in the driveway and realized Paul and Javan were not there. They had left before us and so we were not sure what happened or where they went. Maybe they were driving around, looking at something.

Kadesia got a phone call. My cell phone was in the car with Paul and Javan. The call was from Paul and Javan. The guys were stranded. They told us where and we punched it into the GPS, but instead of giving us the directions to up the road, it was trying to take us to Atlanta, Georgia! So I tried typing it in, and we made our way down the road. God led us to where they were stranded. Javan steered the best he could with no power steering. Paul and Kadesia pushed the PT Cruiser down the street, down another street, across another, and down one final street to the home we are staying in. The starter wires are intact. There is lights and power but the engine will not turn over. Paul and Kadesia are exhausted! Javan's forearms may look like He-Man tomorrow. My job was easy because I just drove behind them with my flashers on. I prayed. We are not supposed to ask anything of God, just simply thank Him, but I did. I prayed He would strengthen Paul and Kadesia because it was insane to push that car that far.


I was looking for encouragement in the Scriptures when I got home. After all, we are down here in Alabama on faith. We trust God told us to move here and we have seen His hand all over our lives here, but in times like this it can get discouraging, so I wanted to read what happened in the Bible when things did not turn out as they had planned. My Bible fell open to Luke 5 and verses 1-11 were highlighted. I'd like to share that with you now in case you might need some encouragement, too.



Luke 5:1-11
1 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon Him to hear the Word of God, He stood by the lake Gennesaret,
2 And saw two ships standing by the lake; but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets.
3 And He entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust Him out a little from the land. And He sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.
4 Now when He had left speaking, He said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.
5 And Simon answering said unto Him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at Thy word I will let down the net.
6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord. 
9 For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:
10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.
11 And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed Him.

So, Jesus is using Simon's ship to teach the multitude who came out to hear Him. The Bible says the fishermen were cleaning their nets. These men were skilled fishermen but they had a bad night. They caught nothing but debris and junk from the water. Have you ever gone fishing and caught an old shoe, or some other thing that you thought felt like the big one, but it turned out to be nothing useful? These men spent all night casting their nets out and dragging in a net full of nothing good. They wanted to use their nets again, so they were washing them, but they didn't realize Jesus wanted them to use them so soon.

Jesus instructs Simon to go out into the deep water and throw the net out for a catch. His instructions are clear. Simon was to get in the ship with his net, go out into the deep part of the sea, throw the net into the water, and Jesus said Simon would catch something. It seems simple enough, but Simon is a skilled fisherman. He must have looked at Jesus strangely. He wants to be respectful with his reply. I am sure he was tired. He was ready to get some rest. He wasn't ready to go fishing again. He explains that they already tried that all night long and came out empty handed.

There is just something different about when Jesus tells us to do something. When He gives the commands, we feel compelled to obey. Psalm 33:9 says For He spake, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast. Simon is explaining to Jesus that he had already tried to fish and nothing happened, but something about the way Jesus tells us to do a thing, it struck Simon in the heart and he was willing.

Nevertheless, Simon says. Even though we have toiled all night. Even though we caught nothing all night. Even though we just cleaned the nets and are ready to go to bed, nevertheless at Your Word Jesus, I will obey. I will let down the net. I will try one more time. I will not give up so quickly. I will do what You say.

The net was breaking there was so much fish that came into that net. The moment he obeyed Jesus, the blessing overwhelmed him. He had to motion to his partners in the other ship to come and help. Those men came to help and both ships began to sink from the weight of the catch! Can you imagine? Simon must have been blown away at the bounty! What an abundance! What a catch!

What if Simon stopped before the "nevertheless?" What if Simon said he was too tired to try again? What if he ignored the Lord's instructions? He would have missed out on a beautiful blessing that two ships could not even contain!

Once Simon Peter saw what Jesus did, he fell at His knees and confessed he was a sinner. When we finally take Jesus at His Word and believe it, we will see the rewards and blessings. Then when we see that His plan works, His way is best, we realize we are in the presence of the Savior and we are sinners. The realization sets in that Simon Peter is in the presence of a Holy man. He tells Jesus to leave him because he doesn't feel worthy to be next to Him.

I love that Jesus tells Simon Peter to fear not. He does not agree with Simon Peter and list all his faults and failures. He doesn't say, "I told you so!" He calms his fears and promises him that from that point on he would catch people instead of fish. The Bible says they forsook everything and followed Jesus.

When God told us to move to Alabama, we left everything. We left our home, the kids' schools, our family, our friends, our lives, our jobs, everything! I do not regret moving here. I do not see this car trouble as a sign we missed God somehow. I know that He will help us with the car issue. I know He will make a way where there seems to be none. I know that He will work everything for our good and I am trusting Him completely. He is in control.

I am grateful that He shared this Scripture with me tonight so I can share it with you all. I feel comforted and hopeful again. I feel joy down deep in my soul and a peace that I cannot explain. I have no fear, no doubt, and no worry. God is in control and whatever the outcome may be, I am trusting Him to see us through.

May something I shared give you strength for your journey and light for your way.

God bless you!
~Bridgett Owens


No comments:

Post a Comment