Saturday, September 21, 2019

Encourage Yourself

I thank God that I did not grow up in a time of war. I am an American and I have never seen men fighting with guns and bombs. I have never been a refugee, or a prisoner of war, never had my home plundered, my life left hanging in the balance. I am so grateful. I do not feel special or exceptional. I am just thankful that I have been spared the horrors of war.

I know from friends and some family members that have gone overseas to war that life can completely change in a moment. Some completed their tour and the way they returned home was far different from the way they left. Some suffered through post-traumatic stress syndrome. Some have shell-shock. Some have nightmares. Some have mental issues. Some came back and their lives were in shambles, they had been shaken to their very core. War sounds horrific and I know that it is.

When I read the Bible, most of the time I feel excitement, encouragement, peace, strength, joy, and overall good. I read through some passages, like when Jesus prays in the garden and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood. I cry. I feel bad, sad, grieved in my spirit. I read about the miracles and I am hopeful. I read in the end God's children win! Evil loses and I rejoice. But some passages I read and find myself feeling sympathy for the person going through a rough time in their life. I just try to understand what they must have been going through. Do you ever do that?

I have been feeling stressed out a little, okay, a lot lately. I know that we moved to Mobile, Alabama on August 1 and we saw God do the impossible. From the first day, as the wheels rotated on the pavement, it set into motion God's plan for the rest of our lives. We had such a great time traveling to Alabama. We found provision in the journey, just like God told us we would. We stayed with our pastor and she was so generous to make us feel right at home.

We were so busy when we got down here. We had to switch our mail, take care of business in Indiana from Alabama. We were in constant touch with our relatives as we were trying to tie up loose ends so many miles away. The kids had to quickly enroll in schools, which was an ordeal, but a smooth transition. God handled everything so easily and quickly. It was wonderful.

My daughter, Kadesia, transferred to the JC Penney store here in Mobile and she has been so busy, but happy with her transition. She has made new friends so quickly, and she has been given more responsibility, including learning new jobs, and training new employees. She has excelled at school. She has made friends there, become involved in various organizations and leadership roles there, too. She loves going to church and being in God's presence. There are so many things we have to thank God for.

My son, Javan, is so happy at the ocean. He loves going to the beach. He enjoys being close to his sister and sometimes the two of them just hang out together and she spoils her little brother so much. He does well at school. He dislikes having such a long commute to school but there is much to see along the way so he truly doesn't complain. He loves going to new stores and restaurants, driving around to see parts of Mobile and the surrounding areas that we have not seen before. He is doing well in school, has friends, and is well-liked by his teachers and the faculty. There are so many things we have to thank God for.

It has been wonderful on our marriage since Paul and I have been able to spend time together. We spend our days in various ways. Sometimes Paul will find a place to show me and the kids that is just breathtaking. He goes out to put in job applications and he puts some online as well. We know it is in God's timing that he will find work, but God has provided well for us so right now it is not a worry. There are so many things we have to thank God for.

But sometimes the worry sets in. The fear tries to grip our hearts. We have a home now and I am so excited about that! My car is now running again with just a simple solution. I am so grateful. Sometimes the doubts creep in and the kids start to get on edge. Sometimes Paul and I have spent a little too much time together and we step on one another's nerves. Often when we get scared or upset, have you noticed that the one who is loving, positive, and encouraging is usually the first to get dumped on? It is because we are the safe place. They know they can have their moment, their melt-down, their issue, and I will love them and forgive them, and we will pray together and it will be okay again.

But what about when it gets too much for me? What about when I am overwhelmed? The Bible says in Psalm 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto Thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to that Rock that is higher than I. We used to sing that in church and I have prayed it many times. Lord, lead me to You, the Rock that is higher than I!

Today I searched the scriptures for someone to relate to. Of course David is a great one to look at. He has known heartache and despair. He knows about war and the afflictions, the pain, the heartbreak, the worry, and the fear. He knows what it is like to be overwhelmed. In 1 Samuel 30 we see David had a really big problem and he felt like he was at the limit. He had no one but God to turn to.

The Amalekites had invaded Ziklag, burned it with fire, and they didn't kill the women, but they took them hostage. So David and the men in his army get to Ziklag and find the city burning! They look around for their wives and their children. They are gone! Not one man can find their wives or children. 

1 Samuel 30:4
Then David and the people that were with him lifted up their voice and wept, until they had no more power to weep.

This is gripping! Have you ever been there? Have you ever been so distraught that you cried and cried and lifted up your voice until there was nothing left. I know I have been there. I have been that upset! I have been that grieved! I have been that low!

When tragedy strikes, the first thing most people want to do is ask why! They want to have someone to blame. Guess who is in charge? David! So naturally it must be his fault! They want to kill him! They started threatening to stone him! So who does David have to turn to? He is distraught, too! 

1 Samuel 30:6
And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.

David had two wives that were taken captive. He wanted them back. He loved them and they belonged to him. So he knows if he jumps in and reacts out of emotion he could get ahead of God and mess everything up. He asks God if he should go after the troop and God said yes pursue and the victory is yours! David waited until God said go! They got the women and children back, just as God promised (1 Samuel 30:18).

What happens when we don't encourage ourselves in the LORD? We can join in with the others. We can start blaming other people, hurling insults, threatening back, and repaying evil for evil. Instead, let's get alone with God, even for five minutes and just ask Him to help us carry the heavy load. He will! The tunnel vision will clear up. You and those around you will start to see that you are only looking at one page of the story of your life and the pen is in God's hands.

My family was not sent to Mobile, Alabama by accident. God has a purpose and a plan for us and we have already seen Him do so much for us, through us, and in us. It is incredible. We have a home now! The cars are working! We are still getting provision. It does not look like we thought it should or would. We are often so blown away by His methods of helping us, but God is doing so much! He is blessing us every single time we turn around!

I hope if you are struggling with discouragement, despair, hopelessness, loneliness, fear, anger, resentment, hurt, jealousy, or any other negative emotion that you will stop looking at the situation and take a step back. Look to God and what He is already done. Look at what He is doing right now. Look at the times in your life when He showed up in a big way before and you had no idea how it would work out, but by His power and might it did! Encourage yourself in the LORD.

I hope something I have said has given you strength for your journey and light for your way. God bless you!

~Bridgett Owens 

No comments:

Post a Comment